NFC Forum Unveils NFC Innovation Award Finalists
NFC Innovation Day in London to Feature IoT Summit and NFC Awards Celebration
WAKEFIELD, Mass., USA – May 15, 2018 – The NFC Forum announced today the nine finalists in the 2018 NFC Innovation Awards Program, selected by a distinguished panel of judges. The three winners selected from this group will be revealed during the NFC Forum’s day-long NFC Innovation Day celebration scheduled for June 26 at the Barbican Centre in London, UK. NFC Innovation Day includes the VISIONFC Simplifying IoT Summit from 12:30 – 18:00 with interactive presentations and real-world case studies showing how NFC and IoT can be used together to deliver remarkable customer experiences. The NFC Innovation Awards celebration will take place in the evening after the IoT Summit concludes.
NFC Innovation Awards
The NFC Innovation Awards recognize the development, deployment and use of state-of-the-art NFC products, services and experiences worldwide. Over 60 entries were received from innovators around the world demonstrating the tremendous growth and interest in NFC technology and its use. The 2018 NFC Innovation Award sponsors include Thin Film Electronics ASA (Platinum Level) and NXP Semiconductors (Gold Level). The NFC Forum is the world’s leading standards and advocacy association for NFC technology.
“NFC technology is transforming user experiences everywhere across B2B and B2C NFC-enabled products, services or experiences,” said Paula Hunter, executive director, NFC Forum. “In London we will recognize this year’s NFC Innovation Award finalists, announce the winners and celebrate the momentum behind NFC technology. A special thank you to all who entered the award program and best of luck to all the finalists.”
NFC Innovation Award Finalists
With over two billion NFC-enabled devices in use worldwide the value of NFC technology to solve real-world challenges in the retail and payment, Internet-of-Things (IoT), public transportation, automotive and other markets is exploding. The NFC Forum Innovation Award finalists listed below exemplify the innovation and value of NFC technology. A jury composed of global industry leaders evaluated entries and selected three finalists in each of three categories listed below.
Best In-Market Implementation
- 1TrueID SRL provides anti-counterfeiting and traceability solutions with the aim to become the first Internet Book of Things. (Italy)
- Creating Revolutions offers hotel and resort guests and employees a wide variety of services using smart and secure NFC technology. (US)
- The Dynamic Tag ICs ST25DV-PWM from STMicroelectronics are innovative devices that leverage the flexibility of their NFC/RFID interface to bring enhanced capabilities to a traditional Tag IC. (France)
Best Emerging Concept
- NFC technology from Haarnio Oy enables daily functions in apartments to be managed digitally with a large array of physical NFC-enabled design tags along with a state of the art management system. (Finland)
- IoTize SAS’s TapNLink Instant IoT for Embedded Systems uses NFC technology for on-site maintenance tasks connecting equipment to smartphone-based user interfaces. (France)
- The Dynamic Parts Authentication solution from Confidex and Sasken Technologies Ltd., uses NFC technology to help automotive manufacturers ensure that critical spare parts are genuine. (India)
NFC For Good
- AUTOCYB’s automotive cybersecurity platform uses NFC technology to enhance vehicle and highway safety by protecting the security, integrity and authenticity of personal data in today’s electronics-intensive vehicles. (US)
- ewaterpay uses NFC technology to collect money and dispense water to create sustainable water systems in developing countries. (UK)
- Project-RAY’s RAYclick is an NFC-based, tactile keypad, that enable visually impaired people to control their smartphones by touch. (US)
All NFC Innovation Award participants and the public are invited to attend the award ceremony on June 26, 2018 at the Barbican Centre, London, UK from 18:30 – 20:30. Winners will receive an NFC Innovation Award trophy and an opportunity to showcase their product at the members meeting, global recognition and networking opportunities.
NFC Forum would like to give special to the award judges and media partners. Judges include:
Namrta Bangia, Associate Director, Global Mass Transit, India; Laurie Beaver, Research Analyst, Business Insider Intelligence, USA; Bratindra Narayan Chakravorty, CEO, Rapid Transpay Pvt. Ltd., India; Hsuan-hua Chang, CEO, Coach Seattle Inc., USA; Lisa Seacat DeLuca, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM, USA; Dean Anthony Gratton, Futurist and Columnist, Gratton Associates, United Kingdom; Will Hernandez, Editor, Mobile Payments Today, USA; Richard G. Hopf, CTO, Speech Code GmbH, Austria; Ryan Martin, Principal Analyst, ABI Research, USA; Prashant Mehta, Group Vice President, Sapient Razorfish, India; Pierre Métivier¸ Founder, NET-7 Innovation, France; Phil Sealey, Principal Analyst, ABI Research, United Kingdom; Claire Swedberg, Senior Editor, RFID Journal, USA; Vinnett Taylor, Head of IoT Sales, Telefónica O2 UK, United Kingdom; Junko Yoshida, Chief International Correspondent, EE Times, Global.
About the NFC Forum
The NFC Forum (www.https://nfc-forum.org) was launched as a non-profit industry association in 2004 by leading mobile communications, semiconductor, and consumer electronics companies. The Forum’s mission is to advance the use of Near Field Communication technology by developing specifications, ensuring interoperability among devices and services, and educating the market about NFC technology. The Forum’s global member companies are currently developing specifications for a modular NFC device architecture, and protocols for interoperable data exchange and device-independent service delivery, device discovery, and device capability. Only member companies can participate in the Forum’s certification program of NFC devices, readers and tags. The NFC Forum’s Sponsor members, which hold seats on the Board of Directors, include leading players in key industries around the world. The Sponsor members are: Apple Inc., Dai Nippon Printing Co. Ltd., Google, Inc., Infineon, Intel, Mastercard Worldwide, NXP Semiconductors, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sony Corporation, STMicroelectronics, and Visa Inc.
# # #