The relationship between the NFC Forum and GCF is one of cooperation in support of compliance testing of NFC functionality for certification. In terms of the agreement entered into, GCF may use NFC Forum developed test cases in its certification program provided that the testing is executed by NFC Forum licensed or authorized test labs.
NFC Forum-certified products are listed on the Approved Products list and test results from already certified products can be applied to new certification applications where appropriate.
More information regarding the NFC Forum specifications can be obtained by visiting the NFC Forum website /our-work/compliance/. Free access to the Forum’s Test Cases is restricted to NFC Forum members only. For RTOs that wish to license the test cases, visit the “RTO landing page” section of the NFC Forum website. https://nfc-forum.org/recognized-testing-organizations-rtos-compliance-testing-information/
There is no change to the NFC Forum Certification Program with certification testing performed by the NFC Forum Authorized Test Labs (ATLs) as before. Many ATLs are already GCF Recognized Testing Organizations (RTOs) and the GCF selected test cases are already in the testing they do today for NFC Forum certification.
Test results obtained from an ATL – regardless of whether it is a CGF RTO – will be recognized by GCF for certification. It is the responsibility of the device manufacturer to submit proof of successful completion of any NFC Forum test cases by an ATL when filing for GCF certification.
Test results obtained from testing by an RTO that licensed the NFC Forum test cases and has NFC Forum authorization to conduct testing can be applied to an NFC Forum certification application. It is the responsibility of the device manufacturer to submit proof of successful completion of any NFC Forum test cases by an RTO when filing for an NFC Forum certification.
An RTO is a test organization or lab recognized by the GCF to execute certification testing. An ATL is a test lab that has complied with all the NFC Forum Authorized Test Lab requirements and duly authorized by the NFC Forum to conduct full NFC Forum certification testing.
A GCF Recognized Test Organization is a testing organization recognized by GCF to execute certification testing. Note that RTOs must be licensed and authorized by the NFC Forum to execute the GCF selected NFC Forum test cases.
Testing of the GCF selected test cases can be executed by existing NFC Forum Authorized Test Labs (ATLs) or GCF Recognized Test Organizations (RTOs) licensed and duly authorized by the NFC Forum to conduct testing.
Developing to a common set of specifications and testing compliance by means of a common set of test cases provide increased assurance that certified devices will interoperate across participating industries. Moreover, greater efficiency is achieved in that common test cases need to be conducted only once and successful test results recognized for an NFC Forum or GCF certification.
This marks a major step in the adoption of the NFC Forum specifications by the mobile device industry, and complements the NFC Forum Certification Program launched some years ago.
Recognized Testing Organizations (RTO) FAQs
- An RTO that has signed the appropriate license agreement and complied with all of its requirements is permitted to execute other NFC Forum test cases that are not part of the GCF required suite. All revenue derived from this testing must be reported to the NFC Forum and applicable fees apply.
- ILCT is a mandatory cross-testing methodology using a pretested sample to ensure consistent results across labs using a test tool from a particular vendor. The purpose of the testing is to ensure consistency and repeatability of results, and more importantly, consistency in behavior across devices tested.
- A capability audit undertaken by an NFC Forum qualified auditor is a requirement and must be completed before authorization to commence testing will be granted.
- RTOs are required to report to the Forum on a quarterly basis all income from executing NFC Forum testing. A reporting template is made available as part of the licensing agreement and also available from the RTO Landing Page. https://nfc-forum.org/recognized-testing-organizations-rtos-compliance-testing-information/
The NFC Forum staff manages the certification program with help from the Forum’s membership. The same team will be managing RTOs that wish to execute the GFC/NFC Forum test cases.
NFC Forum test tools have been developed to support the NFC Forum test cases and have been validated to correctly execute each individual test case. Various cross-testing exercises have been undertaken to ensure repeatability and consistency of test results.
RTOs wishing to execute the NFC Forum test cases need to pay an annual $2,500 license fee when signing the license agreement. On an ongoing basis, the RTO will be charged a testing service fee of 10% of its income from testing involving the NFC Forum test cases.
Visit the https://nfc-forum.org/recognized-testing-organizations-rtos-compliance-testing-information/ on the NFC Forum website for all the requirements and process steps to be licensed and authorized to execute NFC Forum test cases required by GCF.
- An RTO has the option of becoming an ATL if it complies with all the requirements defined in the NFC Forum Requirements for Test Labs which includes being an NFC Forum member in good standing.
- In order to be licensed to conduct NFC Forum testing, an RTO must be a testing organization or lab in good standing with GCF, comply with all the NFC Forum requirements and sign a license agreement.
- A GCF RTO that has been licensed or authorized by the NFC Forum may execute the NFC Forum required test cases.